The 2023 Caribou Contest is in the books! In a fantastic showing, Spark Math students performed above and beyond their peers. Spark Math by Spark Education wants to congratulate our amazing students and wish them continued success. Check out all the 2023 Caribou Contests Results right here!
Spark Math Students 2023 Caribou Contest Results
100% of Spark Math Students received an achievement award
50% of Spark Math Students received full points through all 6 rounds
Spark Math Students achieved twice as high as the global average score
What is Caribou Contests?
Caribou Contest is an exclusively online math competition with 6 rounds of exams, typically monthly from October to May. The competition, which is also known as Caribou Mathematics Competition or Caribou Cup, rank students based on their scores form the sum of their points in the top 5 (out of 6) exams. Participants from around the world put their math skills to the test. In the 2022 to 2023 season, over 276,000 tests were taken with the majority coming from the US and Canada.
Caribou Contests Overview
- Caribou Contest was created in 2006 by Dr. Thomas Wolf, professor of mathematics at Brock University in Canada
- It is broken into categories that span the entire range of K-12.
- All tests are taken online and must have an adult present
- Questions are multiple choice
- Cash prizes are awarded to top students and 11/12 category students may be eligible for a scholarship to Brock University
Caribou Contest Setup and Scoring Metrics
- Each contest has 6 rounds of exams
- Rounds are 50 minutes each
- Categories are divided into pairings by grade level k/1, 2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12
- No calculators
- Questions can be worth 3, 4, or, 5 points respectively
- Scores are a sum of all the points earned from all questions
- Students are ranked according to the sum of their points in their top 5 contests
- In a tie-break situation, the sum from all 6 contests is used as the tiebreaker
Why the Caribou Contest Matters?
Caribou Contest is open to any student that wants to take it from all grade levels. This gives a huge number of students an opportunity to earn a feather in their cap with a strong showing as well as a chance to cash prizes. While Caribou Contest may be a relative newcomer to the competition scene when compared to something like the Math Olympiad, it plays a critical role. This is a lower-stakes test that happens 6 times a year. Students can start their math competition journey with Caribou Contest. This is a great jumping-off point and an impactful method to lessen math testing anxiety.
Do You Want Your Child to Get Started in Math Competitions or Improve Their Score?
The results speak for themselves. Spark Math students show a definitive edge in math competitions, from Caribou Contest to AMC-8 and Math Kangaroo. Sign up for a free trial class to help upgrade your child’s math skills and start earning top marks in math competitions.